Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hearts of the Children turn to the Fathers...

Russians love their families.  A few weeks ago, President Putin conducted a special ceremony for parents of 7 children or more in Sochi.  Nine families were given the Order of Parental Glory.  I assume our invitation was lost in the mail.

Father's Day in America has brought both Elder Pierson and me to reflect on sweet memories we have of our own fathers.  I loved being carried by my big strong Daddy, Ferron E. Hiatt.  It was a sad day for me when I turned to my dad with my arms reaching up only to be told, "Jeanie, you're too big for me to carry anymore."  I was crushed.  (I was about 15, I think).
Favorite memories:
Still shivering from our night time baths, Diane and I were  scooped up by Dad in  sheet blankets freshly warmed on the kitchen coal burning stove.  Dad's strong arms carefully tucked us into our roll-away bed.  Absolute heaven.  We drifted off to sleep to the sweet sound of our self-taught Dad playing old favorites on the piano.

Mom fixed the meals but Dad, Diane and I did the dishes.  How grateful I am we never had a dishwasher.  That is how Diane and I learned to sing harmony and learned some really fun songs that have become favorites of our children and now grandchildren.   We heard hundreds of stories.    I cried each time Dad told of dog, Ol' Shep was proud of how Dad became a champion at oratory and voice.  He taught us of faith, family and testimony.

My Dad had the soul of an artist.  Like most artists, he spent his working years doing a job in an environment that he absolutely hated.  Quite often, Mom would organize a surprise picnic. We would drive to Provo and meet his car pool at the park corner.  I was usually the look out to flag the passing car with our unsuspecting father packed inside.  I loved the joy on his face when he saw his family and knew how much we loved and appreciated all he did for us.

I'm not proud of the fact that one of the two times  I met my future father-in-law, I was in the back of a police car with his son (details if you are interested).  He thought it was very funny.

 Lea Ross Pierson was a World War I veteran who, at age 50, was over-the-moon  with the birth of his only son.  Two teen aged sisters become second mothers.

My husband remembers lots of time with his dad.  He  taught little Dick how to shoot a bb gun, how to ride a bike with no seat and no brakes and of course, there were lots of rounds of golf.  Because Dick was able to live at home while obtaining his undergraduate degree, almost every breakfast, lunch and dinner found the 3 of them together.  Many sweet moments.

His Dad was at every ball game, track meet and golf tournament.   Every photo we have shows a beaming Lea Pierson, so proud of his boy.  He taught his son how to be a gentleman and how to treat a wife.  His favorite sweet name for Irene was "Babe".  Every night, as Dick was drifting off to sleep, he heard, "I love you, Babe"  I have  enjoyed the blessings of that training.

As we were talking to some of our Russian church friends about Father's Day in America, they shared with us some of the joy they are finding in Family History research.  The faithful saints in Russia have a passion for finding their ancestral lines and taking these names to the temple.

Many records were destroyed or lost in the soviet era.  This has been a frustration for many but miracles are occurring.  Because the church is so young here, many are gathering all of the recent family histories they can from those who can remember the names, dates and stories.

Today we heard the story of a faithful sister who was unsure whether or not to have the temple work done for her brother who had died from alcoholism.  She prayed about it and had a vivid dream.  Her brother appeared to her and told her to "Do It!"  After the temple ordinances were performed for her brother, she had another memorable and meaningful dream.  Her parents were there with her brother and all of them were happy and were obviously grateful for her service in their eternal progression.

We were taught by Elder Bednar that this work is all about families.  I know that as we are faithful to our eternal covenants, we are endowed with a portion of the same divine love that the Savior feels for us.  It is this love that will draw us to each other and to Him.  That is the only power we have.  How grateful I am that we are able to be part of this great work!

Our hearts are truly turned.















No comments:

Post a Comment